[Gllug] Debian: Help with problems cleaning up consequences of an extended 'duh' moment...

paul at ma1.se paul at ma1.se
Fri Nov 10 16:22:00 UTC 2006

Jim Bailey wrote:
> On Nov 10, 02:53, Adrian McMenamin wrote:

>>> Not Plesk, please $deity not Plesk!!!
>>
>> What's wrong with Plesk? (Open question, just wondering)
>
> When you have 80 Virtuozzo VPSs and 1,000 domains to migrate to modern
> OSs and you have to use the god awful tools that SWsoft providse you
> with.  You wouldn't ask that question. ;)
>
> Control panels are wrong, evil bastard spawn of satan.  when they are
> closed source and don't do what they say on the tin and have brain
> damaged defaults like 24 hour TTL on DNS.....
>
> This has been my life for the last 3 months and will be my life for the
> next $x months until every single one of our fully managed customers are
> migrated to the new Virtuozzo EZ-template system.
>
> Which is actually a very nice virtualisation system lovely in fact, it
> is just a shame that SWsoft smashed the concept of a clean migration
> path to get there.
>
> I have in effect become a LAMP integration developer for 80 clueless
> web-monkeys not that I hold been clueless against them that why they
> chose a fully managed Plesk VPS so this kind of pain wasn't theirs.

Ah well in that case my sympathies. Though I've been doing a mini
migration myself from Plesk 7.5.4 to Plesk 8.0.1 (real to Virtual,
Centos 3.x to Centos 4.something) and SW-Soft's migration manager has
worked faultlessly so far! Amazing. :-)

But apart from that Plesk is fine for noobs to setup mailboxes and some
nice modules exist for setting up samba, vpn's and firewalls.

regards

Paul Lee
www.ma1.se

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk