[Gllug] C/C++ mentor

salsaman salsaman at xs4all.nl
Thu Nov 23 02:27:46 UTC 2006

Tethys wrote:

>"Daniel P. Berrange" writes:
>

>>Urm, NetworkManager has 100% complete separation of engine & UI. The
>>NetworkManager daemon is merely a DBus service. The UI is provided
>>entirely by  nm-applet, or the KDE equivalent, or any other frontend
>>you wish to write.
>>

>>From the D-Bus documentation:
>

>>D-Bus is designed for two specific cases:
>>
>>* Communication between desktop applications in the same desktop
>>  session; to allow integration of the desktop session as a whole, and
>>  address issues of process lifecycle (when do desktop components start
>>  and stop running).
>>
>>* Communication between the desktop session and the operating system,
>>  where the operating system would typically include the kernel and any
>>  system daemons or processes.
>>

>I'm not seeing how that fits in with configuring a network on
>a headless server. Now maybe DBus is a sufficiently generic
>IPC mechanism that it doesn't need a desktop environment (I
>freely admit, it's not an area with which I'm familiar). But
>if so, then maybe the documentation shouldn't be so focused on
>the desktop, even if that's where the origins of D-Bus lie.
>I'd always assumed it was strictly a desktop thing...
>
>Tet

D-Bus is not really a desktop thing, it's just where it is mostly used.
It's a bit like a CORBA server, applications can register methods with
the D-Bus server, and then other apps can call those methods via the
D-Bus server.

And yes, D-Bus has bindings for both glib and QT so therefore it's
supported by freedesktop.org

There are also python bindings for it.

I was playing around with D-Bus a couple of days ago, but unfortunately
Mandriva 2006 (my current distro.) only has packages for a very old
version of D-Bus, so I put it aside until my next upgrade.

Gabriel.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk