[Gllug] C/C++ mentor

Tethys sta296 at astradyne.co.uk
Thu Nov 23 01:48:29 UTC 2006

"Daniel P. Berrange" writes:

>Urm, NetworkManager has 100% complete separation of engine & UI. The
>NetworkManager daemon is merely a DBus service. The UI is provided
>entirely by  nm-applet, or the KDE equivalent, or any other frontend
>you wish to write.

>From the D-Bus documentation:

> D-Bus is designed for two specific cases:
>
> * Communication between desktop applications in the same desktop
>   session; to allow integration of the desktop session as a whole, and
>   address issues of process lifecycle (when do desktop components start
>   and stop running).
>
> * Communication between the desktop session and the operating system,
>   where the operating system would typically include the kernel and any
>   system daemons or processes.

I'm not seeing how that fits in with configuring a network on
a headless server. Now maybe DBus is a sufficiently generic
IPC mechanism that it doesn't need a desktop environment (I
freely admit, it's not an area with which I'm familiar). But
if so, then maybe the documentation shouldn't be so focused on
the desktop, even if that's where the origins of D-Bus lie.
I'd always assumed it was strictly a desktop thing...

Tet