[Gllug] Multiple ADSL splitters

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Tue Nov 14 13:25:17 UTC 2006

On Tue 14 Nov, Matthew King wrote:

>       ___                   ___
> \    |   |                 |   |
>  \   | F |-ADSL-(nothing)  | F |-ADSL--Modem--LAN
> BT|--| L |                 | L |
>  /   | T |-POTS----+-------| T |-POTS--Telephone extensions
> /    |_R_|         |       |_R_|
>                    +-----More telephone extensions
>
> So will this work and if not, why not?
>
> I would rather know for sure one way or the other before we start
> digging into walls.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Matthew

   As shown the first filter is totally wrong. Filtering is only applied to
the phone output, and no ADSL will get through the filter.
   Every telephone extension must be filtered, and you will get ADSL
carrier losses and reflections throughout your system.
   The best method is to use a full BT specification replacement faceplate
filter, designed with a fully balanced multi-stage filter to handle the full
4 REN telephone extension load without fuss. No other filter is then
required.
   If you are running new wires, run Cat5 (plus spares?) direct to the first
filter and place the ADSL modem there. The ADSL carrier is low level and
relatively delicate, ethernet is much more robust, so you will get the
highest possible data rate.
   Is the ADSL modem combined with a hub or switch? I am currently using an
ADSL modem with integral 4-way hub and wireless, but only connecting my
local system to an IPCop firewall which then connects to just one port of
the 4-way. My local system has its own hub. I am getting a solid maximum
rate ADSL (8128 MBits/sec) more than a mile from the local exchange.

--
Chris Bell