[Gllug] Multiple ADSL splitters

Matthew King matthew.king at monnsta.net
Tue Nov 14 13:37:44 UTC 2006

Chris Bell <chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk> writes:

> On Tue 14 Nov, Matthew King wrote:
>

>>       ___                   ___
>> \    |   |                 |   |
>>  \   | F |-ADSL-(nothing)  | F |-ADSL--Modem--LAN
>> BT|--| L |                 | L |
>>  /   | T |-POTS----+-------| T |-POTS--Telephone extensions
>> /    |_R_|         |       |_R_|
>>                    +-----More telephone extensions
>>
>> So will this work and if not, why not?
>>
>> I would rather know for sure one way or the other before we start
>> digging into walls.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Matthew
>>

>    As shown the first filter is totally wrong. Filtering is only applied to
> the phone output, and no ADSL will get through the filter.

Wrong or not, I am moderately certain that it is how it was configured.

It could be that the first filter was useless as the building's patch
panel was connected to the ADSL side rather than the POTS side but I
cannot check as not only have I left the company but the company has
moved building too.

>    If you are running new wires, run Cat5 (plus spares?) direct to the first
> filter and place the ADSL modem there. The ADSL carrier is low level and
> relatively delicate, ethernet is much more robust, so you will get the
> highest possible data rate.

This is not possible. I struggled in vain to have the first filter (the
secondary master socket, if you will) where the computers will go but
was overruled. The filter must be where the master socket is.

>    Is the ADSL modem combined with a hub or switch? I am currently using an
> ADSL modem with integral 4-way hub and wireless, but only connecting my
> local system to an IPCop firewall which then connects to just one port of
> the 4-way. My local system has its own hub. I am getting a solid maximum
> rate ADSL (8128 MBits/sec) more than a mile from the local exchange.

The ADSL modem is an old Pentium box with a PCI card. It cannot fit
behind the washing machine (not to mention the fuss that would be made
if I tried) so the unfiltered line will have to be extended to its new
location along with the filtered line (or I will get a second filter).

Matthew

--
I must take issue with the term "a mere child," for it has been my
invariable experience that the company of a mere child is infinitely