[Gllug] Microsoft announces deals with Lynux !

Adrian McMenamin adrian at newgolddream.dyndns.info
Fri Nov 3 10:50:04 UTC 2006

On Fri, November 3, 2006 10:34 am, Jason Clifford wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Nov 2006, Chris Bell wrote:
>
>>    I have heard several people say that the next Microsoft release may
>> be
>> the last they are able to sell, so they may be looking for ways to buy
>> into
>> Open Source and hedge their bets.
>
> Sounds like nonsense to me.
>
> MS has 85% of the desktop market and a fair portion of the server market.
> They continue to develop products to lock customers in and many many IT
> professionals continue to push MS products as that's a sure fire way of
> ensuring continued income for themselves.
>
> This situation has not changed for a very long time.
>
> To suggest that in 5 years MS will no longer be able to charge money for
> their software in light of this doesn't compute.

Hasve to say I agree with this analysis, though I'd also estimate, but not
scientifically, that Linux desktop usage is now pushing close to 1%, which
is maybe four times more than it was five years ago when I booted my
RedHat 7.3 (?) system for the first time. It's not much but it is still a
growing share in a growing market, meaning we'd be at Mac OS X usage
levels by the end of the decade :-/