[Gllug] Is there any demand for rsync based offsite backup?

M.Blackmore mblackmore at oxlug.org
Wed Nov 1 18:20:00 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-10-31 at 18:40 +0000, Jason Clifford wrote:
> I'm giving thought to launching an offsite backup service using rsync from
> the client end to a pair of servers at different datacentres.

As home user seeking somewhere safe to store things like digital images
(and as I said somewhere else we're gonna rue the day we dispensed with
paper, ink and silver halides) and other stuff of considerable
sentimental and family historical importance, I'd be interested in
something like this.

Price will be critical - with me disabled and out of work we're on one
part time income as often in winter I'm not well enough to do kid care
properly, tho' this will improve as the youngest grows out of babyhood -
so it will need to be cheap.I'm not the only middle aged man around now
suffering the long term effects of occupational injury in youth so a
discretionary rate would be nice.

I'd be happy to set up an overnight backup schedule. I've no idea how
much data it will be in the end - digital photos, videos of important
family events etc. could be an open ended growth spiral for a lot of
people. Currently 100gb, but in a few years time especially when
daughter starts making her films with her friends with the digicam,
well...

There is a price critical domestic market to be tapped here. Be nice
though if it wasn't all based in a small area of London. The idea of the
internet was to be bomb proof (literally) but what has come to pass has
been huge concentrations of comms links and data farms in a limited
area.

A container or few full of semtex perhaps mixed with radionuclides and a
few suiciders and digital oblivion is effected.

I for one won't be going off into a radiated site to recover hard disks
from arrays assuming that not the whole lot will be levelled or wrecked
(which it won't be a hundred or two metres away).

A thought - perhaps we all ought to set up peer to peer mass networked
backup systems distributed amongst thousands of penguinistas and their
pooters, a miasma of file sharing bittorrent sort of thing but with a
different aim.