[Gllug] Is there any demand for rsync based offsite backup?

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Wed Nov 1 20:35:28 UTC 2006

On Wed 01 Nov, M.Blackmore wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-10-31 at 18:40 +0000, Jason Clifford wrote:

> A thought - perhaps we all ought to set up peer to peer mass networked
> backup systems distributed amongst thousands of penguinistas and their
> pooters, a miasma of file sharing bittorrent sort of thing but with a
> different aim.

   Unfortunately I think it might grow rapidly. Perhaps we should club
together and buy one of the nuclear bomb shelters, complete with their
diesels, communications, aircons, etc.

   Archive storage should be easier than instant access, but technological
advances would probably make it unreadable in no time. Magneto Optical was
supposed to be the ultimate at one time, but I don't see many drives around
to read it.

--
Chris Bell