[Gllug] Yum through proxy

Steve Nelson sanelson at gmail.com
Wed Nov 15 07:52:26 UTC 2006

Hello chums,

I have a nasty setup at work in which all http requests are proxied
through a Windows ISA proxy.  From UNIX machines I have found that I
am unable to authenticate against these proxies without using a local
proxy that can handle NTLM authentication itself - for which purpose I
have been employing ntlmaps - http://ntlmaps.sourceforge.net/

I have found this works with wget, apt-get, and freebsd's ports system
(which I believe uses fetch).  I have also found it works with yum
under centos 3 if I export an appropriate http_proxy environment
variable.

I have now got a centos 4 machine in the environment, and I find that
with exactly the same setup as the centos 3 machine, I hit http
byte-range problems:

---> Downloading header for xorg-x11-Mesa-libGL to pack into transaction set.
xorg-x11-Mesa-libGL-6.8.2 100% |=========================| 378 kB    00:02
http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/centos/4/updates/i386/RPMS/xorg-x11-Mesa-libGL-6.8.2-1.EL.13.37.2.i386.rpm:
[Errno -1] Header is not complete.
Trying other mirror.
Error: failure: RPMS/xorg-x11-Mesa-libGL-6.8.2-1.EL.13.37.2.i386.rpm
from update: [Errno 256] No more mirrors to try.

I don't believe ntlmaps supports ftp proxying, which I have read will
help with byte ranges - at any rate I can't get it to work by
specifying an ftp mirror and exporting ftp_proxy.

I'm all out of ideas.  Ok - someone will say "bin the ISA server" -
sorry - not my call - I'm stuck with this infrastructure and the head
of security won't allow me to open http from the :AN on which the
machines sit.  So - any ideas?

S.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk