[Gllug] Some good news - copyright on sound recordings not to be extended

Jason Clifford jason at ukfsn.org
Tue Nov 28 07:39:26 UTC 2006

On Tue, 28 Nov 2006, Alain Williams wrote:

> > Why do we need perpetual copyright on selected materials just because the
> > proceeds go to a hospital that is supposed to be NHS funded?
>
> That is a quirky one off. I actually support odd-balls like this, it is like
> the guy in Oxford who has a shark rising out of his roof[**], if done everywhere
> it would not be acceptable.
>
> The copyright extension of Peter Pan does benefit a hospital, it does not cause
> major problems to the theatre/book/... worlds and so I think is acceptable.

Numerous books published after the real copyright expired had to be either
pulled or suddenly found themselves presented with royalty bills which
were retrospective. That was a very major problem!

The NHS is funded from taxes. This is an NHS hospital.

The deal with copyright is fixed term total protection (supposedly to
benefit the authors). This violates the deal.

Don't forget that every abusive extension to copyright is done in
increments pointing to the previous extension in another field to justify
the current attempt I guarantee you this will result in extensions to
copyright sooner or later if it is not resisted.

We do not need copyright to last life + 70 years. We certainly don't need
perpetual copyright.

Jason
--
UKFSN.ORG			Finance Free Software while you surf the 'net
http://www.ukfsn.org/		  up to 8Mb ADSL Broadband from just £14.98