[Gllug] was: vanancy,

Alex Crow acrow at integrafin.co.uk
Tue Nov 14 19:59:04 UTC 2006

Richard,

I hope this is sorted out now - I'm sorry about the confusion, I didn't
see that all the items were required, but I can see your and other
peoples point. I think it's stupid too that HR/agencies feel shy about
advertising salaries. Now I am on my home time, I would like to field a
question - NB *I am not a recruiter of any kind* - my HR dept like to
tell us what to do most of the time (sigh).

I've been working with Linux (and have been passionate about it) for
more than 10 years now, and jumped at the chance to work in the company
I now work for - it was my first IT job in name - previously I'd done
temping roles where I was found to be quicker than the own company's IT
dept. in solving problems (and *not* botching something else ala PHB,
techcomedy.com) and hence thought I'd have a go - and got my first
break.

So, I started as a user of Slackware (1.something?) back in about 1995
and never looked back. I found it taught me so much more about working
with computers that Windows just looked pale by comparison. I first
learnt about netmasks and gateways, VPNs and encryption, C and Java,
under Linux, which Windows seems to make so obscure and awkward. Oh, and
actually being able to compile programs and see real source code without
going bankrupt. Now I'm on Gentoo at home and Gentoo/Suse at work.

What I'm getting at, is, given how much the FOSS world has given people
opportunity to learn, devlop and empower themselves, why is it so hard
to find decent Linux people to work for you? I've got some mates that
have taken it up, but none seem to be interested in it as a career. I
would have thought that there's thousands of self-taught people out
there who could be really excellent, regardless of experience.

I've also been meaning to join a LUG properly for some time - I'd love
to see what other people are doing in the field and swap tales.
Especially if you work with Linux/*BSD/*NIX and started it as an
interest rather than as a means to a profession.

Re: the Christmas thing, my SO would be fine to come along (I think it
should be up to *them* if they think they'll get bored) - I'm sure we
can multitask enough to deal with attending to tech talk as much as
spousal/partner attention. Are interested guests welcome too or is it
strictly members only?

Thanks

Alex
--

This message is intended only for the addressee and may contain
confidential information.  Unless you are that person, you may not

"Transact" is operated by Integrated Financial Arrangements plc
Domain House, 5-7 Singer Street, London  EC2A 4BQ
Tel: (020) 7608 4900 Fax: (020) 7608 1200