[Gllug] Is there any demand for rsync based offsite backup?

Jason Clifford jason at ukfsn.org
Thu Nov 2 10:52:34 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2 Nov 2006, Russell Howe wrote:

> I see a couple of problems here... firstly there is potential for
> extortion. You lose your storage and want your data so you submit a
> request to 'the network' to retrieve it. Doesn't matter whether the
> person(s) holding your data can read it or not (it may be encrypted),
> they can always refuse to hand it over. Sounds like a nice little
> earner.

It being distributed should prevent that.

> Also, you are not going to want a single copy of your data. You'll want
> at least two. As will everyone else. To do this, the network therefore
> requires capacity roughly equal to 3x the size of the data (1 'live'
> copy on your machine, at least 2 other copies elsewhere). Yes,
> compression may help, but not for already-compressed data such as JPEG
> photos, MPEG videos, MP3/Ogg audio files, etc...
>
> I don't see it working..

Not on a small scale but if you can get it scaled up so that lots of light
users balance the heavy ones it should work. Of course this then runs into
the problem that we're being encouraged to turn off our computers, etc
when not in use to save power.

Jason
--
UKFSN.ORG			Finance Free Software while you surf the 'net
http://www.ukfsn.org/		  up to 8Mb ADSL Broadband from just £14.98