[Gllug] RS-232 temperature reader and feeder into a web page

Jim Bailey jim at freesolutions.net
Sat Nov 11 13:11:07 UTC 2006

On Nov 11, 09:00, John Hearns wrote:
> Mike Brodbelt wrote:
> >
> >Of course IPMI boards and on dedicated LOMs are ideal, but if you don't
> >have them, you can still have decent monitoring.
> >
> Mike,
>  I agree with what you say.
> But there are still boards out there where the lm_sensors calibration is
> a mystery (Arima HDAMA opteron boards for instance).
>
> IPMI cards cost a few tens of pounds at purchase time - if any GLLUGers
> get to specify servers, get these cards included, even if you don't
> intend to use them right away.

Most of the big boys do them by default, Dell do them on their 850/860
range, though with them you need a DRAC card if you want GUI console
access which costs.  Our Windows admins use dos cmd line foo, we save
around £100 per server.

Be aware however that on their low end gear you only get IPMI on the
first ethernet interface so if that goes you loose console access.  On
the 1950/2950 you have access from either port and hence some
redundancy.

You can do some incredible HA stuff with this and Virtuozzo/OpenVZ or
VMware, Xen unfortunatly as I have discovered sucks for this.  Where you
monitor disks, psu nics etc as long as you have redundancy it does
nothing but if say a disk fails on a servers raid you can migrate the
whole virtual server to a warm standby and raise a ticket about the disk
failure without you even having to wake up.  In the morning you change
the disk and by the time you have got back from the DC the server is
already migrating back to the original hardware node.

The one customer we have got this working with is estactic and we are
looking to see if we can get working across our entire system without
breaking the bank.

--
Peace Jim :-)

 Property is Theft