[Gllug] X problem

Russell Howe rhowe at siksai.co.uk
Mon Nov 6 00:47:39 UTC 2006

On Sun, Nov 05, 2006 at 08:00:16PM +0000, Ian Northeast wrote:
> Khusro Jaleel wrote:
> >Maybe you have X11Forwarding disabled in your /etc/ssh/sshd_config, just
> >as John said? I recently started seeing this message too, and I think
> >that was the problem.
>
> Another possible cause is "xauth" missing on the target machine. I don't
> think I've ever seen this in Linux though. It's not uncommon in AIX as a
> default "without graphics" installation doesn't include it.

Happens to me sometimes in Debian - I think xauth is found in
xbase-clients. sshd's configuration also defaults to not allowing X11
forwarding in recent Debian installs. I can't remember if it can be
configured via debconf or not any more (it used to be an option), but
the directive is there in sshd_config waiting to be uncommented.