[Gllug] X problem

Ian Northeast ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk
Sun Nov 5 20:00:16 UTC 2006

Khusro Jaleel wrote:
> Maybe you have X11Forwarding disabled in your /etc/ssh/sshd_config, just
> as John said? I recently started seeing this message too, and I think
> that was the problem.

Having X11 forwarding disabled on the target machine is indeed the most
likely explanation. It's also possible to disable it at the client end
(ssh_config) but this is less common. It's quite common for the ssh
server end to default to no X forwarding, it's sometimes perceived as a
security risk. IMO it's more secure than any alternative so I always
enable it.

Another possible cause is "xauth" missing on the target machine. I don't
think I've ever seen this in Linux though. It's not uncommon in AIX as a
default "without graphics" installation doesn't include it.

Calling the ssh client with "-v" as John suggested (or -vv, -vvv, the
more "v"s the more messages) should show the cause of the problem.

> I'm not sure about it, but I usually also set my X server to accept
> remote connections, maybe this is also disabled for you? In your
> '/etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc', check for 'nolisten tcp' and remove it if
> it's there.

This is not needed for tunnelling X over ssh, the connection is not
remote, it is from the local ssh client.

Regards, Ian