[Gllug] C/C++ mentor

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Thu Nov 23 22:44:21 UTC 2006

On 21 Nov 2006, Daniel P. Berrange stated:
>                                            |                     Resident
>                                            |            Shared             Private
>                                   Mapped   |      Clean       Dirty      Clean      Dirty
>                               ------------------------------------------------------------
> libxml2.so.2.6.27             : 1204.00 kb |     388.00 kb    0 bytes   72.00 kb    0 bytes
> libxml2.so.2.6.27             :   20.00 kb |       4.00 kb    0 bytes    0 bytes    8.00 kb
>
> So the 'bloat' from the XML parser consists of 388 KB shared across all
> applications on the system, and 72 kb private to each app. This is
> a rounding error in the greater scheme of things where the app has
> 12 MB of private mappings just from other runtime data.

What's more, so many things use libxml these days that it's almost
certainly in use by other stuff as well. Even my copy of vim is
transitively linked against it.

> By all means attack bloat in Linux applications - there's certainly
> plenty of it - but pick a better target than the XML parser / libglade.

Indeed.

--
`The main high-level difference between Emacs and (say) UNIX, Windows,
 or BeOS... is that Emacs boots quicker.' --- PdS