[Gllug] Exchange equivalents on Linux

Jason Clifford jason at ukfsn.org
Thu Nov 2 18:42:11 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2 Nov 2006, Casper Gasper wrote:

>  I attended a presentation by a hula developer a couple of months ago,
> and he specifically covered the mbox issue.  He claimed that ISPs
> couldn't use maildir as they would quickly run out of inodes, and he
> certainly didn't mention any shift to Maildir.

The inode issue isn't that big a deal as it can be deal with easily enough
- it's just a number after all and limits can be changed.

More importantly ISPs tend not to run Exchange or similar systems.

The reason many ISPs use mbox is simply that it's the default option and
once things have been there a while it's too much trouble to change them.
Also it does work.

Jason
--
UKFSN.ORG			Finance Free Software while you surf the 'net
http://www.ukfsn.org/		  up to 8Mb ADSL Broadband from just £14.98