[Gllug] Old small laptop firewall option? Or just send it to the recycling centre?

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Wed Nov 1 22:42:52 UTC 2006

On 31 Oct 2006, M. Blackmore verbalised:

> On Tue, 2006-10-31 at 00:01 +0000, Nix wrote:
>> ... as long as you don't want to run Snort on it:
>>
>>   RSS    VSZ
>> 59316  97772
>
> The setup is a simple adsl router (courtesy of the Phone Cooperative, I
> like nice cuddly cooperatives as ideologically sound etc. if not the
> cheapest around) ethernet to firewall (succession of expiring old
> pentia) and then into hub and general network, wired and a wireless
> bridge.

Likewise here, without the wireless bridge, and I caused the expiry
of said old Pentium myself (static plus thumbfingered idiot equals
two dead machines in the space of a week!)

> Could I, I wonder, pass the laptop onto a fileserver that was also
> firewalled and would have the oomph to run snort, as this will be doing

I don't know what `pass the laptop onto a fileserver' means. Are you
talking abou packet forwarding? Something else?

But you don't need a *physical* machine, just a user-mode-linux
instance, a pair of bridges, and no IP address on the host/outbound
side. Have some ASCII-art describing my double-virtual-machine-
and-snort-pair firewall configuration, which works just like that:

<http://article.gmane.org/gmane.user-groups.linux.london.gllug/2237>

> nfs/samba and that blasted IMAP mail server I've been meaning to set up

IMAP -> use dovecot. Nothing else compares, not least because dovecot
doesn't nail your email up in an IMAP-only jail, but presents an
existing maildir spool through IMAP.

--
`When we are born we have plenty of Hydrogen but as we age our
 Hydrogen pool becomes depleted.'