[Gllug] [Fwd: gNewSense 1.0 - a binary blobless free software

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Fri Nov 3 09:44:38 UTC 2006

On Fri 03 Nov, - Tethys wrote:

> On 11/3/06, Simon Morris <sm at fsfe.org> wrote:
>
> > There is a new GNU/Linux distro based on Ubuntu that has the non-free
> > binary components removed.
>
> Isn't that called Debian? Or am I behind the times yet again when it
> comes to what's happening in the Linux distro world?
>
> That aside, I'm actually quite interested in this. FC6 has proved more
> than a little frustrating, and Ubuntu is looking more and more
> tempting by the day. But I'd rather have something a little more
> idealogically sound.
>
> Tet

   Debian is hoping to move to kernel 2.6.18 ASAP, and that apparently comes
with some contributed drivers. There was some discussion, but the current
decision appears to be that they will remain for now as a service, partly
because it may be impractical to remove them.
   Debian and Ubuntu may share some developers, but the final results are
not identical. Ubuntu does release things similar to what Debian are
developing in unstable or testing, but are not as reliable as Debian Stable.

--
Chris Bell