[Gllug] Printing to a Windows shared printer.

Tom Schutzer-Weissmann trmsw at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Nov 25 21:22:10 UTC 2006

Good evening from Lisbon (that other Greater London),

At work we have a new printer. The old one is a glorified fax machine
and not really worth using, but at least I can print to it.

Both printers are shared printers on a Windows machine, identically as
far as I can see. But whatever I send to it, nothing comes out of the
printer!

I went as far as starting Windows in a VM, setting up the printer there
and printing to it: no problem at all, just a big hassle. So then I set
up a pseudo printer in the VM host, assigned it the same driver as the
real printer (a Ricoh MP1600L) and printed a test page. Then I tried
sending retrieving that and sending to the real printer using smbclient.
And nothing came out.

~$ smbclient -U Teacher //RECEPTION-PC/Ricoh -c "print testpage.pcl"
putting file testpage.pcl as testpage.pcl-23673 (204.1 kb/s) (average
204.1 kb/s)

What I'm trying to do is work out if I'm sending the wrong stuff to the
printer or if it's not getting there at all. I believe I'm sending the
right stuff, so maybe it can't be getting there, even though smbclient
thinks it is?

TomSW