[Gllug] Multiple ADSL splitters

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Tue Nov 14 14:07:57 UTC 2006

On Tue 14 Nov, Matthew King wrote:
> Chris Bell <chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk> writes:

> >    As shown the first filter is totally wrong. Filtering is only applied to
> > the phone output, and no ADSL will get through the filter.
>
> Wrong or not, I am moderately certain that it is how it was configured.
>
> It could be that the first filter was useless as the building's patch
> panel was connected to the ADSL side rather than the POTS side but I
> cannot check as not only have I left the company but the company has
> moved building too.
>
> >    If you are running new wires, run Cat5 (plus spares?) direct to the first
> > filter and place the ADSL modem there. The ADSL carrier is low level and
> > relatively delicate, ethernet is much more robust, so you will get the
> > highest possible data rate.
>
> This is not possible. I struggled in vain to have the first filter (the
> secondary master socket, if you will) where the computers will go but
> was overruled. The filter must be where the master socket is.

   In that case, the best thing would be to get BT to move the master socket
to where it is needed, running extra "telphone pair" cable as required. Next
best would be to run a single "telephone pair" extension cable from the ADSL
output of the first filter, (the one at the master socket, and effectively
the same as the incoming telephone pair), to the ADSL modem, with everything
else in the building connected to the "phone" side of the filter, ensuring
that the filter at least matches the full BT specification. The small type
of filter that looks like a phone splitter is unlikely to be large enough to
hold a high grade multi-stage filter.

--
Chris Bell