[Gllug] Multiple ADSL splitters

Ken Smith kens at kensnet.org
Wed Nov 15 18:57:49 UTC 2006

Chris Bell wrote:

>On Tue 14 Nov, Matthew King wrote:
>

>>Chris Bell <chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk> writes:
>>

>> {snip}
>>

>   In that case, the best thing would be to get BT to move the master socket
>to where it is needed, running extra "telphone pair" cable as required. Next
>best would be to run a single "telephone pair" extension cable from the ADSL
>output of the first filter, (the one at the master socket, and effectively
>the same as the incoming telephone pair), to the ADSL modem, with everything
>else in the building connected to the "phone" side of the filter, ensuring
>that the filter at least matches the full BT specification. The small type
>of filter that looks like a phone splitter is unlikely to be large enough to
>hold a high grade multi-stage filter.
>

>> {snip}

I got the master socket moved on a Bulldog LLU ADSL service in a similar
situation where there wasn't room near the master socket for the ADSL
router. Also it was in a basement where the wireless on the router would
never work. I had tried a 10m CAT 5 extension on the ADSL router side of
the filter but the ADSL signal almost vanished in it. The filter output
must be very sensitive to the load represented by that extension. Once
the socket was moved all was perfect.

Ken

believed to be clean.