[Gllug] [OT] NHS abusing security of our medical records

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Sat Nov 11 11:31:54 UTC 2006

Jason Clifford wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Nov 2006, Mike Brodbelt wrote:
>
>> You have the right to opt out - though they'll try and make it hard for
>> you. Check out www.fipr.org, where there are details, a sample letter,
>> and instructions for you to give your GP.
>
> Opt out us meaningless if you've already been added to the database as I
> don't think there is a right to be removed from it.

The referenced case on the FIPR page is that of Helen Wilkinson, who won
a court battle to have her records deleted from the database. While I
don't think it's yet a sure thing that you can easily get yourself
removed, there is now a legal precedent that you can have these things
removed. The Department of Health appears to not know what to do about
this, and has been trying to claim it does not set a precedent.

Another article about what actually happened in this case, written prior
to the deletion of her records, is here:-

http://www.e-health-insider.com/news/item.cfm?ID=1119

Mike