[Gllug] Getting technical about email

Rich Walker rw at shadow.org.uk
Thu Nov 9 22:49:16 UTC 2006

Chris Bell <chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk> writes:

> On Thu 09 Nov, John G Walker wrote:
>
>> It occurs to me that I'm now the state where it would be simpler to set
>> up an email server and have a single email system across my home
>> network.
>>
>    All I did was install Debian into an old box (actually a P166) with the
> mailserver option. It took a while to read the instructions for Fetchmail
> and set it up to fetchall every few minutes, most other things "just work"
> well enough to get started. You could also install a DNS server, etc, in the
> same box.

apt-get install exim4-daemon-light exim4-doc-html dovecot-imap3d
apt-get install firestarter squid fetchmail spamassassin amavisd-new
apt-get install pdnsd leafnode apache apache-ssl

and you've got an internet server. Runs quite happily on a Via 600MHz
box. Add postgres and/or mysql unless you're running a database
somewhere else.

and then either horde or twig or something for webmail

The imap3 will, as everyone says, mean you can read your mail from Emacs[1]
on any computer anywhere in the world, without having to store multiple copies

cheers, Rich.

[1]: Yes, I understand there are other mail reading programs. But they
don't count.

rich walker         |  Shadow Robot Company | rw at shadow.org.uk
www.shadowrobot.com/hand/overview.shtml