[Gllug] C/C++ mentor

Aaron Trevena aaron.trevena at gmail.com
Tue Nov 28 15:49:07 UTC 2006

On 22/11/06, TreeBoy <gllug at petethetree.co.uk> wrote:
> > > Here I am hanging myself out to dry and I hope that some developers for
> > > GNOME will get involved in a conversation that may be of interest to the
> > > First Poster and re-educate my opinion.
> >
> > As it turns out, I currently share some of your pain.  Having not done
> > anything with GTK+ for a few years, I wanted to write some simple
> > frontends with PyGTK, and found little improvement in the learning
> > curve since GTK1.0.

I learned GTK from the nice hardback book - programming linux with GTK
or something similar, combined with the online documentation I was
able to progress quite quickly and found it much much easier to work
through than QT and C++.

I was also able to port a lot of my C to Perl quite quickly using the
perl bindings for GTK, but relying on the C documentation for it.

But that's not a fair comparison - I last did GTK about 6 years ago,
and I tried QT/C++ about 18 months ago.

I found GTK/C far simpler and quicker, but then I have a graduate
background in both languages so that may have helped.

> I'm now learning wxPython (which is GTK-based embarrassingly) because it works
> on Windows and Linux. Learning Python and wx at the same time is surprisingly
> less difficult than I imagined.

I was going to suggest wx-widgets but you already found them.. good
show - they work in Perl too, should you need to invoke the awesome
power of the mighy CPAN.

cheers,

A.

--