[Gllug] Notebook running Linux

Khusro Jaleel kerneljack at gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 20:54:06 UTC 2006

Good call on the Asus recommendation, I am typing this right now on a
2.5year old Centrino Asus laptop (
1.6 GHz, 1GB RAM, 60GB HD, DVD-RW) with Ubuntu Edgy on it. It's true that
you cannot get it without Windows installed but the hardware is good, i've
not had a single problem with the screen, keyboard, or touchpad. Most
laptops develop problems in these areas at some point in their life.

For distro support, Suse and Ubuntu Edgy work quite well, although I did
have a problem with XGL on SLED which was due to the ATI graphics card on
this thing. Suspend to disk has always worked in Suse and Ubuntu Dapper, but
for some reason it doesn't work in Edgy. The built-in card reader is
supposed to work, but I haven't tried it yet myself.

Anyway, it's a well-built laptop, with quite decent linux support. I've also
heard good things about IBM/Lenovo laptops. Don't Dell install Linux on a
laptop for you, or at least give you a refund on Windows if you decide not
to use it? Here's the BBC story on it:

Maybe you can get a Dell laptop for around 550 quid or so and then get a
Windows refund?

Khusro