[Gllug] C/C++ mentor

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Thu Nov 23 15:26:15 UTC 2006

On Thu, Nov 23, 2006 at 01:48:29AM +0000, Tethys wrote:

> "Daniel P. Berrange" writes:
>
> >Urm, NetworkManager has 100% complete separation of engine & UI. The
> >NetworkManager daemon is merely a DBus service. The UI is provided
> >entirely by  nm-applet, or the KDE equivalent, or any other frontend
> >you wish to write.
>
> >From the D-Bus documentation:
>
> > D-Bus is designed for two specific cases:
> >
> > * Communication between desktop applications in the same desktop
> >   session; to allow integration of the desktop session as a whole, and
> >   address issues of process lifecycle (when do desktop components start
> >   and stop running).
> >
> > * Communication between the desktop session and the operating system,
> >   where the operating system would typically include the kernel and any
> >   system daemons or processes.
>
> I'm not seeing how that fits in with configuring a network on
> a headless server. Now maybe DBus is a sufficiently generic
> IPC mechanism that it doesn't need a desktop environment (I
> freely admit, it's not an area with which I'm familiar). But
> if so, then maybe the documentation shouldn't be so focused on
> the desktop, even if that's where the origins of D-Bus lie.
> I'd always assumed it was strictly a desktop thing...

That is documenting  the *original* motivating goals of the project,
as relfected by Havocs 'project utopia' idea for the desktop.

Very soon after starting development though it was clear DBus would
be useful beyond just this original goal and thus the code has no
dependancy on any desktop bits. The DBus implementation itself is just
a general purpose local machine message bus / IPC system. One use is
the so called 'session bus' which is for local desktop applications to
talk to each other. The other case is the 'system bus' which is for
system daemons to talk to each other. Now some desktop applications
will do system management things and so will talk to both buses. DBus
itself though doesn't care in the slightest whether its being used as
part of a GNOME or KDE or plain X desktop - its merely a message bus.

NB. I'm maintainer of the DBus  Perl bindings & can assure you there
is nothing in them remotely related to X, GTK, KDE, or any other
desktop-y bits.

Regards,
Dan.