Page 0 was Re: [Gllug] BBC and acorn bits

Andrew Black andrew-li at black1.org.uk
Sun Nov 26 15:20:39 UTC 2006

> The 6502 looks horrible until you realise that page 0 is a page of
> registers in and of itself, and that as long as you ditch the heaps
> of vile crap MS wasted page 0 on you can do all sorts of really nifty
> things.

Page 0 having registers looks like a recipe for registers accidently
getting corrupted (eg a pointer set to 0 or a low value).
I am most familiar with the VAX and Alpha architecture where the lowest
page is always (at least under VMS) no access.  I have many times been
saved by processes access violating rather than overwritting data and
plowing on regardless.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk