[Gllug] Core 2 duo / Intel 965 chipset

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Sat Nov 11 08:53:37 UTC 2006

Chris Bell wrote:

>    Is there an up-to-the-minute list of hardware that is known to work (or
> not work) with which flavours of Linux? I see lots of new hardware on the
> shelf sealed in pretty boxes, but the boxes usually only give informatiom
> about compatibility with M$.

Basically, no.
this debate has been going on on the Scientific Linux mailing list.
The idea of a hardware compatibility list for SL has been floated - but
having a formal one is a mammoth undertaking. IIRC there is a Wiki on a
volunteer basis.
And as we know hardware moves at a rapid pace - new chipsets like the
Intel q965 and new SAS controllers.

SuSE and Redhat of course have lists of certified platforms, and the
other way round Sun for instance certify given Linux distros for each of
their platforms.
That's part of what you are buying with hardware like that of course.

--
      John Hearns
      Senior HPC Engineer
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk