[Gllug] Core 2 duo / Intel 965 chipset

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Fri Nov 10 23:03:25 UTC 2006

Chris Bell wrote:
> On Fri 10 Nov, Jim wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> Help please for someone with very limited experience and can only be
>> classed as a novice user.
>>
>> Someone else I know has just got a new HP Dc7700 and can't get linux to
>> install
>>

>    Is there an up-to-the-minute list of hardware that is known to work (or
> not work) with which flavours of Linux?

No

> I see lots of new hardware on the
> shelf sealed in pretty boxes, but the boxes usually only give informatiom
> about compatibility with M$.

What's supported changes frequently, and "make menuconfig" is often one
of the best ways to find out what works well. The system described by
the OP contained a lot of pretty new hardware. If I was installing onto
that, I'd probably try and plug in an IDE drive to install onto, then
upgrade the kernel and migrate the system onto the final hardware.
Installers often use kernels which lack the latest hardware support.

Mike
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk