[Gllug] Gates in Europe today pushing software patents

John G Walker johngwalker at tiscali.co.uk
Fri Nov 10 17:11:21 UTC 2006

On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 11:49:56 +0000 John Hearns
<john.hearns at streamline-computing.com> wrote:

> Richard Jones wrote:
> >
> > Right - the people who invented the first processors, networks, etc.
> > patented everything, and that really helped.
>
> Not just the first processors/networks, but the concept of HTML and
> the Web. Doubtless oddles of patents on HTML etc.
> But my point stands - HTML/Web released into the public domain,
> spreads like wildfire.
> If it were patented and licensed, it would have been licensed to act
> as an add-on to Digital Vax and Digital Unix computers. It would be a
> historical curio today.

There's actually evidence that your supposition is correct.

The essential core of the web (what makes it world-wide) is the idea of
running hyperlinks across the internet. According to Tim Berners-Lee,
he wasn't the first person to develop the idea. A private company had
created a system that did this back in the early 1980s, but they
charged a fee for its use. And, as you predicted (or postdicted), it
died the death. I've even forgotten the name of the company, though
Berners-Lee gives it,

--
 All the best,
 John