An advanced Linux Mag - was Re: [Gllug] Algorithm question for your Friday morning

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Sun Nov 19 20:25:33 UTC 2006

On Sat, Nov 18, 2006 at 11:30:20AM +0100, salsaman wrote:
> AIUI, the price of subscriptions for a mag only just covers the
> printing/distribution costs. The profit comes from advertising.

Print magazines haven't made sense for computing topics for at least
10 years (about the last time I bought any computing mag with the
exception of Wired which positions itself as more of a "lifestyle"
mag).  For news they are inevitably out of date, and they can't afford
to cover niche topics in depth because they can only survive at all
with the broadest possible readership.

FWIW I subscribe to the online Linux mag http://lwn.net, which is
excellent for the micro-niche it covers.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones, CTO Merjis Ltd.
Internet Marketing and AdWords courses - http://merjis.com/courses - NEW!