[Gllug] Is there any demand for rsync based offsite backup?

Rich Walker rw at shadow.org.uk
Wed Nov 1 22:37:05 UTC 2006

John Hearns <john.hearns at streamline-computing.com> writes:

> Chris Bell wrote:
>
>>    Unfortunately I think it might grow rapidly. Perhaps we should club
>> together and buy one of the nuclear bomb shelters, complete with their
>> diesels, communications, aircons, etc.
>
> Strangely enough, I was on a bike ride in Essex on Sunday, and mentioned the Secret Bunker. Someone
> said a similar bunker is up for sale at the moment.

I used to use an ISP that was based in a bunker. Cheshire, maybe?

It's a bad sign when you can't even remember the *name* of your old ISPs...

> As an aside, we should have a GLLUG trip there sometime.
> http://www.secretnuclearbunker.com/
>

>>    Archive storage should be easier than instant access, but technological
>> advances would probably make it unreadable in no time. Magneto Optical was
>> supposed to be the ultimate at one time, but I don't see many drives around
>
> Digital archaeology - I've had a couple of rants on GLLUG about this.

Copy to new storage media. Archive old machine and drives. Backup to
current "best archival" backup media, and store offsite. Upload to
Internet Archive. Not much else you can do, I guess.

Unless you can get data usefully onto clay tablets, or maybe ceramics...

rich walker         |  Shadow Robot Company | rw at shadow.org.uk
www.shadowrobot.com/hand/overview.shtml