[Gllug] C/C++ mentor

TreeBoy gllug at petethetree.co.uk
Wed Nov 22 00:07:03 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 21 November 2006 23:37, Mike Brodbelt wrote:
> TreeBoy wrote:
> > I'm afraid that this debate reinforces (for me) that you really shouldn't
> > bother with GNOME development when no-one can agree which tool to use to
> > define your GUI.
>
> Everyone agrees which tool to use - GTK. The only debate is how you
> develop your app, and this is akin to debate about which IDE you like.
> It's just preference.

I'm sorry, but I didn't make clear what I meant by "tool": a tool is part of a
toolkit. I consider GTK not be a toolkit, but a widget-set or library. The
tools are the programs that a developer uses to produce code: these may or
may not include precompilers, internationalisation tools, version control
systems or IDEs.

And I have to add that when you say GTK, do you mean GTK, GTK+, GTKMM, Bonobo,
Orbit, piece of string or what. So much of the documentation is spread about
different newsgroups that finding a coherent answer once you have decided on
both a widget-set and toolkit *I* find really difficult. (The emphasis is to
make it clear that I consider myself unusual, but not unique.)

(I've just read that last paragraph again and see how confrontational it is,
which is not what I mean. It is just that I have tried time and again to get
to grips with it and struggle each time.)

> > With KDE and QT there is only really one toolset and everyone deals with
> > that same one.
> >
> > GNOME may well be technically superior, but I find the development lists
> > confusing because everyone is using their own suite of tools. Although
> > ultimately flexible, it leaves the uninitiated out in the dark: you
> > *HAVE* to have opinion.
>
> You can take or leave Glade - it's an application that makes development
> easier, and it has some advantages and some disadvantages. I don't think
> there's much disagreement about the core libs - thing like glib/gtk and
> such like.

I have to admit that I thought you had to use Glade (version x.xx.xx) but this
reinforces my understanding that you have to know about the entire history
before you can consider using it.

> Caveat - I do almost no serious development myself, so my opinions
> should be taken as just that.

I too have not done any serious dev using C++ for over 4 years, so I
appreciate another's opinion and reasoned argument.

Thanks for your considered input.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk