[Gllug] Whinges - was SwitchedOnUK

James Roberts jr at stabilys.com
Fri Nov 24 14:09:20 UTC 2006

Peter Cannon wrote:

> In the same vein that you wrote your mail I'd like to do a tongue in cheek
> reply so please don't take it seriously, I should also point out I'm a
sales
> manger for an IT company that is also an independent ISP but I've got
the day
> off today and fancy some fun.
>
>> Phone calls: 95% answered within 2 rings.

With tongue out of cheek (any cheek) :)

- By people. We do not support voicewail :)

>> Emails: 95% responded to within 1 hour.

- By people :)

>> Support desk: acknowledged and ticketed automatically,

- 98% or better: support follow-up depending on SLA but same day at least.

- "Hi we got your message we'll be there in an hour"

>> Sales desk requests: acknowledged and ticketed automatically,

- 98% or better: sales follow-up same day.

- 'Cos we value the business (and want the money).

> I'm pulling your leg, I'm honestly not being offensive. I love
statistics you
> can make them say what ever you want or project a totally false image.

Actually you can't with *real* statistics - only by twisting them all out
of shape. But the figures I quoted are not statistics, they are targets.
The statistics would be concerning how well we *met* our targets :) (Which
I am not telling you :)

It's Friday. Aargh.

I have just spent another hour on the phone to India. HP Technical Support.

We have many seats of clients with HP Business desktops, all on Next-day
On-site support.

This machine (3 months old) had a failed HDD (Maxell SATA) on Monday.
Notified within the hour. Promised engineer visit next day.

Today is Friday. The engineer has just arrived.

I'm talking the business support division here. There is no HP tech supp
in the UK now (it's in India with HQ in Germany AFAICS). All the HP
engineers have left and are now working for outsorced companies. They
carry no parts which have to be soruced form stores, so they can't do
ad-hoc repairs (like swap m/b) if indicated.

There is no-one (easily) to comp-lain to, or escalate to. I'm just
drafting a letter of complaint to the names I begged from a contact.

And Acer? Even worse...

We're going to Lenovo/ex-IBM instead. For now they are better.

It's Friday.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk