[Gllug] Exchange equivalents on Linux

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Sun Nov 5 20:35:49 UTC 2006

Mike Brodbelt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm currently in the position of using an Exchange server for mail at
> work, but for various reasons the server side stuff on our internal
> network will soon become entirely Unix based - it'll be a mix of Debian
> and Solaris. Replacing file/print/authentication is easy, but I'm
> curious as to people's experiences with things that promise to replace
> Exchange. Many of the end users will be on Outlook clients, and we want
> to retain calandaring and support for mobile devices (currently
> Blackberries, but don't necessarily have to be, as long as something
> more or less equivalent is available). I've looked at a few things, but
> I'd be interested to hear about anyone's experience doing this kind of
> thing. We're willing to consider stuff like the Bynari software if
> needed, but a completely free software solution would be preferable.

have you looked at the various http://www.scalix.com/ offerings ? They
have something that starts off completely free, so you can do the
setup's etc and have a play around ( depending on your requirements, it
might be all you need )

it installs and runs on CentOS-4, out of the box - and scales to a few
thousand users with no issues.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk