[Gllug] Re: Looking for libncurses5_5.4-9_i386.deb

Ryan Cartwright ryan at crimperman.org
Sat Oct 7 20:42:00 UTC 2006

Henry Gilbert wrote:
> On 07/10/06, Martin A. Brooks <martin at hinterlands.org> wrote:
>> Henry Gilbert wrote:
>> > It would have taken forever to find the lib or fix the enforced
>> > dependancy.
>>
>> No, assuming an internet connected system, it would have taken "aptitude
>> update && aptitude install ncurses-dev".
>>

> bash: aptitude: command not found
>
> ok ..
>
> apt-get update && apt-get install ncurses-dev

So why jump straight for apt-get? If you are trying to find a package,
use 'apt-cache search'.

# apt-get update
# apt-cache search libncurses5

libncurses5 - Shared libraries for terminal handling
libncurses5-dbg - Debugging/profiling libraries for ncurses
libncurses5-dev - Developer's libraries and docs for ncurses

.. so we use 'apt-cache show' to see if the file we want is in there
(but we don't have to do this bit)

# apt-cache show libncurses5

Package: libncurses5
Filename: pool/main/n/ncurses/libncurses5_5.5-4_i386.deb

.. That seems to be the one so ...

# apt-get install libncurses

Job done - far from "ages" and the dependency is sorted for you - that's
the point of using apt.

 > I've done all the apt-get chasing in circles.

That's a bold statement to make in the company we have on this list.
Chances are there'll always be something you missed.

cheers
Ryan

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk