[Gllug] Re: Looking for libncurses5_5.4-9_i386.deb

Henry Gilbert henry.gilbert at gmail.com
Sun Oct 8 04:20:08 UTC 2006

On 07/10/06, Ryan Cartwright <ryan at crimperman.org> wrote:

> # apt-get install libncurses
>
> Job done - far from "ages" and the dependency is sorted for you - that's
> the point of using apt.
>
>  > I've done all the apt-get chasing in circles.
>
> That's a bold statement to make in the company we have on this list.
> Chances are there'll always be something you missed.
>
> cheers
> Ryan

Hi Ryan,

Many distros are DD (Debian-derived) and then some are DDD
(Debian-derivative-derived). The limitation I was having then is that
whilst I needed libncurses-dev to be able to recompile the kernel, I
would have to be very careful in mix-interfacing with official Debian
repositories half hazardly.
When I did that once, it then asked me to confirm the updating of some
50 packages or so. Now because this is a very fine-tuned distro aimed
at music-making, I feared I could break some of the sound packages
bound to their own sound-centric libraries. That was the reason for
the initial libncurses5_5.4-9_i386.deb chasing.

What I have discovered however is that historic versions of a library
are not always left up dangling there in their Debian repositories.
The "apt-chasing in circles" I was referring to - is not uncommon of
on DDD distros (or even non-Debian-derived-distros that uses instead
some hybrid rpm+apt-get-synaptic combo).

Nevertheless It was good to revise and learn a bit more of the apt
techniques, it's been a long time indeed I don't apt-get!

Which is just and handy because I might be installing and converting a
doctor to Linux this weekend. It might be Ubuntu or Debian pure - I
don't know yet. I think he likes things trendy, I think Ubuntu then.
He had enough of his PC and so went for an Apple. What a one grand
waste of money, when Linux is 10x better and cheaper. Plus he will get
free friendly help also.

cheers.

HG
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk