[Gllug] System going into suspend mode

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Mon Oct 23 09:46:26 UTC 2006

On Mon 23 Oct, Peter Childs wrote:

> Generally Ubuntu seams more user frendly. And I think I might have
> simular problems under Etch indeed I've groan a general hatred of any
> distros based on a 2.6 kernel, When is 2.7 going to be started and 2.6
> will become stable like 2.2 and 2.4 before it, This currently
> situation is killing Linux.
> Currently I'm seriously looking at Macs!
>
> Peter.

   Ubuntu is using the same installer as Debian Testing, developed at the
same time, so that does not make Ubuntu more user friendly than Debian
Testing, but Ubuntu is being rushed out with very little testing in
comparison with Debian, and you may find problems. You do not get the
problem from a standard installation of Debian. Debian also goes out of its
way to make upgrades easy, and provides a much larger list of available
software.
   Debian Sarge was released almost two years ago with the then latest 2.6.8
despite some known problems with the kernel, and there have been updates to
fix some of these bugs. Etch may be released with 2.6.18 if it is cleared of
serious bugs and tested in time, otherwise it will be 2.6.17. As far as I
know there is no work in progress on a kernel series 2.7.
   Apple Macs use a kernel based on BSD.

--
Chris Bell