[Gllug] System going into suspend mode

Mori Sugimoto foss at diasporan.net
Mon Oct 23 11:47:31 UTC 2006

I just switched to Sarge from Ubuntu Dapper because I was experiencing a
similar problem (it froze every time I ran apt-get/aptitude/synaptic -
is HAL related to these?...). Although I liked Ubuntu, I had to switch
because it was so unstable and almost unusable.

 > And I think I might have simular problems under Etch indeed I've
groan a general hatred of any distros based on a 2.6 kernel

I installed Sarge with 2.6 kernel (2.6.8-3), but I do not have the
problem I had with Dapper. My machine is very stable now and it never
froze since I switched from Dapper. What are the serious problems with 2.6?

By the way, If I want to upgrade my machie to Etch, do I need to modify
'sources.list' to use Etch? or can I just 'dist-upgrade'?

 > Currently I'm seriously looking at Macs!

I use mac and it's good. But it's good as a mac, but not as a freeBSD
machine, IMO. I installed X11 and fink and installed some software. But
since the folder structure is different from what I'm used to and Finder
doesn't allow users to see all folders, I find it difficult to operate.
I also use Japanese but mac as freeBSD does not seem to support Japanese
very well (probably it's not a problem for you though).

mori

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk