[Gllug] Very Edgy

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Fri Oct 27 09:33:08 UTC 2006

David Reed wrote:
[snip tale of upgrading woe]

Sorry to hear about your troubles.  I was just thinking about trying an
upgrade myself.  As a proto-cognoscenti I would offer one piece of
advice - don't try something like this when a piece of software first
appears.  Those of us who rush to try these things out the instant
they're available (as I used to do when I was selling Linux
distributions) make sure we do it only on a test machine or in a VMware
virtual machine.  Rushing to upgrade your production machine inevitably
leads to much heartache.

Is there a show-stopping feature in 6.10 which you need to have in order
to function in your role as a historian?  If not then I strongly suggest
you revert to 6.03 and wait at least a couple of months before thinking
about upgrading.

This advice isn't specific to Ubuntu or even to Linux.  A Windows user
who rushes to upgrade his production machine to Vista the instant it
comes out would have to be out of his tree.  Let others have the pain
and follow along in the relatively calm waters which they leave behind them.

HTH
John

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at mailman.ukfsn.org