[Gllug] Very Edgy

David Reed David at aliada.plus.com
Fri Oct 27 08:23:11 UTC 2006

Over the past few days I have tried to upgrade from Kubuntu 6,03 to
6.10, using the pre-release version of the latter. This has been a tale
of woe, despite the former version being very usable and robust.

My first two attempts involved modifying the Adeptec database by
changing Dapper to Edgy in every line. On both occasions, the download
went well but the installation failed, with catastrophic results to the
existing setup, as might be expected. I then tried using the Knoppix CD
to save the ISO image of the released version to virtual space so that I
could then burn it, but that did not work either. So, I reinstalled 6.03
and saved the same image of 6.10 to the hard disk and then burned it on
to CD. I then tried installing from that CD but I could not get into the
page where who set up your name and the password. It would not accept
either. I tried that twice. Later in the day, I thought about what is
called the alternative CD version and downloaded and burned it. Despite
pasting the installation lines from the official Ubuntu site into a
terminal window, one was rejected out of hand by BASH. But eventually
the following lines sort of worked:

sudo apt-cdrom add
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade && sudo apt-get
dist-upgrade
sudo apt-get -f install
sudo dpkg --configure -a

But I was left with an installation with which I can log on but do
nothing that I wish to do because I can't get X-Windows to work.

This is hardly very satisfactory. Like many, I don't have the training
or experience that is evident among the cogniscenti of this group. I am
an historian and I need to get on with my work. I appreciate the
difficulties of creating a distribution and the volume of work that is
necessary to upgrade without errors. But I was particularly incensed
yesterday by the Ubuntu site crowing that 6.10 was out on time. I would
rather that Canonical waited until it was ready and useable rather on
time, as 6.03 was.

David Reed
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at mailman.ukfsn.org