[Gllug] Re: Gllug Digest, Vol 40, Issue 30

Christopher Currie ccurrie at usa.net
Fri Oct 13 20:34:43 UTC 2006

On Friday 13 October 2006 00:17:06 +0100 (BST) Chris Bell
<chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>    I have been contemplating registering my own domain name, but I have had
> my demon.co.uk email address since soon after Demon started, and it is
> known by too many old family, friends, and colleagues. I could obtain
> another address, but I could not notify them all about the change. The best
> I could do would be to retain the Demon address via dial-up, for half what
> I am now paying for broadband.

Demon offered me two years ago to keep the domain name open for up to a year,
in case I wished to return to them. Although, like you, I'd had the subdomain
almost since they started, I didn't find too much difficulty in getting
friends etc. to shift.

I've found it worth keeping a non-local address like this one, from which one
can have mail forwarded or popped to one's actual mailbox or mailboxes
( although usa.net used to be free and is now pricey). That way, friends only
have to remember the long-term address.  If the domain's services are any
good, they can filter out the spam before the mail reaches your mailbox.

Christopher Currie
 ccurrie at usa.net
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk