[Gllug] Re: Gllug Digest, Vol 40, Issue 30

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Fri Oct 13 21:33:52 UTC 2006

On Fri 13 Oct, Christopher Currie wrote:

> I've found it worth keeping a non-local address like this one, from which one
> can have mail forwarded or popped to one's actual mailbox or mailboxes
> ( although usa.net used to be free and is now pricey). That way, friends only
> have to remember the long-term address.  If the domain's services are any
> good, they can filter out the spam before the mail reaches your mailbox.

   My work has involved many years with frequent travel, working on an
irregular basis with colleagues based around the country, but frequently
without any direct means of contact. Mobile phone access was often
overstretched, unreliable, or not available due to the location, and there
were long queues for the few temporary alternative phones. I have plenty of
family, friends, and other contacts spread around the country, and my email
address is well-known, so I need to retain it to remain in touch. I may soon
need to register an independant domain name, and then I can redirect mail as
required and try to notify everyone.

--
Chris Bell