[Gllug] Howto make Samba work on Suse10.1

Emon emon at nerdshack.com
Mon Oct 9 13:41:03 UTC 2006

Hi all

I am a novice user & I have just switched over to Suse10.1 from
Slackware10.2
(been running Slackware since Slackware9.1)

I have 4 PC connected to a home LAN. 1 running Linux, & others are
running WinXP

1)
I have (somewhat) setup samba using Yast, but the thing is, if the
firewall turned off, then I am able to access the LAN from my Suse box,
otherwise it says "Unable to find any workgroups in your local network.
This might be caused by an enabled firewall."  But as far as I can
recall there was an option during samba configuration to "Open Firewall
ports"... which I did... so what could be going wrong??

The XP boxes are able to access my samba server without any problem though.

I am also pasting my /etc/samba/smb.conf

Thanks in advance :-)
Emon

# smb.conf is the main Samba configuration file. You find a full commented
# version at /usr/share/doc/packages/samba/examples/smb.conf.SUSE if the
# samba-doc package is installed.
# Date: 2006-05-02
[global]
	workgroup = LANLINK
	bind interfaces only = true
	interfaces = eth0 192.170.0.1
	hosts allow = 192.170.0.0/255.255.255.0 127.0.0.1
	log level = 1
	log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
	max log size = 1024
	printing = cups
	printcap name = cups
	printcap cache time = 750
	cups options = raw
	map to guest = Bad User
	include = /etc/samba/dhcp.conf
	logon path = \\%L\profiles\.msprofile
	logon home = \\%L\%U\.9xprofile
	logon drive = P:
	add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd  -c Machine -d /var/lib/nobody
-s /bin/false %m$
	domain logons = No
	domain master = No
	netbios name = magicbox
	security = user
[homes]
	comment = Home Directories
	valid users = %S, %D%w%S
	browseable = No
	read only = No
	inherit acls = Yes
[profiles]
	comment = Network Profiles Service
	path = %H
	read only = No
	store dos attributes = Yes
	create mask = 0600
	directory mask = 0700
[users]
	comment = All users
	path = /home
	read only = No
	inherit acls = Yes
	veto files = /aquota.user/groups/shares/
[groups]
	comment = All groups
	path = /home/groups
	read only = No