[GLLUG] Pointer Please

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Tue Oct 31 13:38:26 UTC 2006

On Sun 29 Oct, Chris Bell wrote:
> Hello,
>    Can someone please point me in the right direction. I am trying to get
> sound working on a dual PII box with Debian Sarge, kernel 2.6.8. It has
> slots for both PCI and ISA, but I am trying to reserve PCI slots and use a
> soundblaster ISA card. I know the card works in its current location with an
> earlier Knoppix but not the 5.0.1 Knoppix.
>    I can see from dmesg that the card is found, checked, and appears to be a
> working soundblaster awe64 during the start-up, but it fails to work. I
> guess that this could just be Discover doing its standard checks on
> start-up, but the module missing from the kernel.
>    I have not yet found a list of modules present and available in the
> kernel, but snd_sbawe appears to be the correct module, and present in the
> existing kernel. If I modprobe snd_sbawe I get device not found by
> snd_sbawe, rather than snd_sbawe module not found. If I add snd_sbawe to
> /etc/modules I get device is busy or not present towards the end of dmesg.
>    Running KDE brings up a window stating that /dev/dsp is not found, which
> I gather is a sign that the kernel module is missing.

   It looks as if the ALSA module is available, but there may be a hardware
problem causing the sound card to clash with the standard keyboard (also on
the ISA bus), so the sound card is disabled again during boot up. I do not
know why it works with an early Knoppix and Sarge running on 2.4, but not on
2.6, but I have seen a hint that others have had similar problems.

--
Chris Bell