[Gllug] Helping at the next meeting

Simon Morris sm at fsfe.org
Mon Oct 30 22:49:11 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-10-30 at 10:31 +0000, Khusro Jaleel wrote:

> Anyway, I just wanted to join the GLLUG and help out anyway I can. I
> was volunteering at the Jokosher stand at linuxworld, and met someone
> at the GLLUG stand too, unfortunately I don't remember his name. I
> used to study and work at the university help desk too, at the
> Cavendish campus :-)

Hi Khusro,

I guess you either met Chris Bell (beard noticeably white), myself
(beard noticeably no defined colour) or Tom Veness (no beard
whatsoever).

Thanks very much for offering to help. I need people to do the following
jobs at the next meeting:

* Run the Linux Productivity apps demo at the Intro day
* Run the Linux Multimedia apps demo at the Intro day
* Run the Linux desktop demo at the Intro day
* Give out CDs, leaflets, sign people up to mailing list
* Help run the installfest

I'll be buzzing around organising the day generally (read: middle
management - not doing any actual productive work) and taking care of
the technical presentations.

If we have sufficient volunteers I'd like a couple of people to give out
leaflets advertising the event outside of PC World on TCR (and then come
to the meeting when it starts). We might pull in some passers-by this
way.

> Please let me know if I should bring along some distro CDs, etc or if
> I should bring my laptop along for any demos that you might want to
> do.

We should be OK for disks unless you have some from magazine covers or
some Ubuntu Shipit CDs. Certainly don't bother burning them as I have
access to a CD duplicating machine. The laptop would be handy - let me
know offline which demo you want to take on.

If anyone is tempted with running a demo but is put off by the thought
of actually having to organise it I am writing some presentation notes
for all of the stands. You just need to be confident enough to
demonstrate the technology and answer questions.

Thanks

~sm

--
Simon Morris