[Gllug] Google Notebook installs Firefox extension

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Tue Oct 3 06:02:26 UTC 2006

Someone sent me a link to Google Notebook[1] which, it turned out,
managed to install a Firefox extension without me apparently being
aware of it.  (Which also broke my Firefox install, but that's another
matter).

This is really really dangerous.  First of all, I removed FF and
reinstalled it.  Is that enough?  Can FF extensions affect data beyond
just the FF install itself?  Secondly, how the heck did it manage to
install the extension without me seeing the usual warning/dialog?

Rich.

[1] http://www.google.com/notebook/

--
Richard Jones, CTO Merjis Ltd.