[Gllug] USB keyboard

Russell Howe rhowe at siksai.co.uk
Sun Oct 1 16:42:44 UTC 2006

On Sun, Oct 01, 2006 at 05:25:25PM +0100, Alain Williams wrote:
> Do I need to buy a mobo w/out a PS2 keyboard slot but a USB keyboard slot

You don't *need* to, no.

> do I take a (recent) mobo and just not plug in a PS2 keyboard but plug in a
> USB one and it will find and use the USB keyboard ?

Almost certainly.

Any motherboard from the past 5 years or so which has a USB slot will
do. If you want to be able to use PS/2 keyboards as well (or devices
which pretend to be PS/2 keyboards, such as some barcode scanners, card
readers etc), then you'll either want to ensure the board has one, or
get a PS/2 keyboard -> USB adapter.

Most BIOSes from the last few years work with a USB keyboard just fine.

Basically, plug a USB keyboard into any spare USB port and everything
should Just Work(tm)

Unless you go and try Windows 95 or something, but that would be silly
now, wouldn't it?

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk