[Gllug] [OT] FRITZ!Box Fon

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Mon Oct 2 09:24:11 UTC 2006

Hi John,

John Winters wrote:
> I've used one.  It works fine, but I found it rather limited in how you
> could configure it.  It expects to provide all your PABX functionality,
> but can do only so much and expects all your VoIP providers to be
> outside - not for instance an Asterisk box on your local LAN.

in my case, the VoIP provider will be external only, so this should not
really be an issue.

> I flogged it on and bought a Linksys PAP2 thing which connects to
> Asterisk running on my local server.  This gives me *much* more
> flexibility and control.  The only downside is Linksys's crap customer
> support.

is the pap2 the Vonage adapter ? Are they still being sold ? I've had a
look around and not found anything on the linksys websites, just people
selling these on ebay ( which i dont want ).

Also, from this thread - it seems that everyone who has an opinion on
the fritz box and capabilities seems to have a negative take on this... :)

- KB
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk